Sunday 21 May 2023

Skomer Island, 18 May 2023

 



My first trip to Skomer this year was in beautiful weather, with ideal sea conditions for the crossing. I had forgotten how hard the climb up the 87 steps from the landing stage was though!

My `target birds` for the day were of course the Short eared owl, always being unlucky with them, and this year was no exception. I did come across one, my hopes were raised, but after an additional two and a half hours of waiting for it to take off from the bluebells, I gave up. Time was beginning to run out, so I headed back towards the path to the boat (and those steps again), and did some puffins.

I didn`t have time to go to The Wick, where the main concentration of seabirds are at this time of the year, but that will be for June.

On the June visit I hope to try and focus more on the Puffins at the Wick, particularly flight shots and landings, hoping to get those sand eels coming in for the Pufflings.