Saturday 5 August 2023

Flashback to Forest Farm, 2019

 


Four years ago I was at Forest Farm. 

This is a lovely spot not too far from Cardiff, and benefits (when quiet) from a couple of good hides where there are good opportunities to see Kingfisher.

Like anywhere, Forest Farm can attract visitors that cause disturbance. I remember on this occasion I had to endure three loud birdwatcher/twitcher photographers who were so engrossed trying to out-do each other in conversations about their latest equipment that you couldn`t hear what was going on outside! In fact the noise probably helped keep the birds away at the time. 

The `performance` continued for about an hour, so I moved on to the second hide to see if it was quiet. Well it was a little quieter, not by much, as there were only two photographers in full conversation, giving me advice (!!!!) and in the process missing what was going on. 



(distant Kingfisher from the second hide)

When they finally realised there were two Kingfisher in the distance fishing together, they`d already missed a few minutes of action.  They then went on to miss more while they were showing each other their photos, with full running commentary. At this point two of the chaps from the first hide came in - everyone knew each other, etc etc, so it was time to move again.

I slipped back to the first hide which by this time was quiet, and fairly soon I was by myself. Within half an hour or so I had Kingfisher turn up, then joined a second, and they stayed around in front of me for best part of twenty minutes. 

So the afternoon ended well in the end, but it was just a shame that yet again there was so much unnecessary disturbance.