Friday, 9 October 2026

Autumn watch

 Not the programme of course, but it`s that time to keep an eye out on what`s arriving for winter, with mid to late October being an interesting time.

I`ve been out looking for early winter raptors, but still a week or two too early I think. There are always some exceptions moving around, but I haven`t come across them yet.

Due to very limited personal time, and also WWT Llanelli now closed for 2 days per week (it will be closed for 4 days per week from November), i`ll be "watching" my local marsh, estuary and surrounding fields whenever I can. There are a few other places too if I have the chance.


Yesterday I had the chance of slipping further West for a few hours while the conditions were good, but no real sign of any winter arrivals. A female Marsh Harrier saved the day, but that was at a distance.

Back at WWT, i`ll be doing the Walk with the Warden on Saturday 17th October. As usual, we meet in the main reception area for 11.30am, and will go on to the Reserve for around an hour and a half, maybe a little more. (Come prepared for the weather, including appropriate footwear). 

If you do come to the Centre, make a day of it and check out the saltmarsh etc from the hides before the walk, as there have been good sightings of Spoonbill, Great White Egret, Cattle Egret, etc over the last couple of weeks. Also look out for wader numbers building up, and Knot are often mixed in with the Black Tailed Godwits.

I`ll be posting some occasional updates, and the odd "vlog" now and again, so hoping for a good autumn and winter ahead.