Saturday 4 February 2023

local Kingfisher project

 



Once `draingate` (see below) and the remainder of my heavy cold are both out of the way, i`m going to be trying to work on the my local area for Kingfisher. This will be just one of many projects I plan to do, the list for this year seemingly endless.

Without offending any dog lovers and owners, these birds - amongst many others - have been disturbed in the past by loose dogs, who also seem to like `attacking` people working quietly and patiently doing photography. I mention this again as it happens throughout the year. (A few months ago I was talking to a couple of other photographers who did actually get attacked and bitten by a dog, with equipment damaged too, and the owner walking off as if nothing had happened.)

Kingfisher are protected birds, and it`s an offence to disturb them around any nest site or territory. I therefore always bear things like this in mind, and work away from the immediate area, using a camouflage hide, and putting in the time (when I have some) without disturbing any wildlife. 

This image came from a series of perches I put up in an area I thought was ideal and attractive for them, and I just happened to be fortunate on the first day.

But please folks try and control your dogs, as this will help wildlife, particularly during the breeding season.