Wednesday 28 August 2024

Osprey near home

 

(COLLAGE FROM ARCHIVE PHOTOS - SEPT 2017)


A number of people have seen Osprey in the area and across the region, from Teifi marshes in the West to Penclacwydd here in the South. Well I missed the Penclacwydd Osprey, as i`ve mentioned on facebook, but always wondered if an Osprey had ever been up the Loughor river towards the marshes where I live close by.

Today, by a stroke of good timing just for once, I saw my first Osprey flying over the estuary and marsh, fish in talons, and being generally bothered by crows. I had no camera, as it was just one of my regular pull-ins when coming back from the village, so binoculars only. However, the distant bird lazily flew in the direction of the end of the village , veering off North until it disappeared from sight.

I think this could well be the first sighting for Llangennech, although I have seen a reference to a possible one back in 1992. It`s certainly my first sighting there though, and so glad to have one not far from home.

Hoping this won`t be the only sighting over the next week or two before they depart South.