Sunday 1 January 2023

New Year`s day at WWT

 A good day today at the WWT event in Llanelli. The weather was quite blustery (what`s new), but it was good to bump into some people I hadn`t seen for a while. These included some who`d been on prior WWT events where I had been volunteering, including a couple who I hadn`t seen since before the pandemic but said "Hiya Russ!"..... , and it was as if no time had passed.

As i`d set aside the day to help visitors, I left my camera equipment home for the day. Little did I know that I was to come within about 30 metres of a female Hen Harrier early afternoon. This might not mean anything if you`re not really into birds, but if you are - it was an experience. This stunning, rare winter raptor was being bothered by crows for about 15 mins before it came that close. 


While I was on my rounds I found my first Barn Owl pellet of 2023 - again without my camera - but just took a rather naff record of it on my phone. The pellets get dried and later analysed, as they can contain two or three different remains of prey. This helps look at the health of habitats, and the hunting areas of the owls.

After a good few hours there, picking out other species for people, including Kingfisher, it was time to drag myself away until another day.

The weather looks better tomorrow, before it goes into a wet spell again, so hopefully out and about - with the camera this time!